Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Just Liquidated on the Fed Rate Cut

Even with relatively small position sizes, I was in pain this morning. However, I could not believe my eyes when the Fed cut rates by 75 basis points
Liquidated BIDU at 261.44 - from my buy at 255.77 for +$5.67
JRJC at 11 from buy at 12.8 for -$1.80
EJ at 17 from buy at 18.88 for -$1.88
MELI at 43.75 from buy at 45.74 for -$1.99

I liquidated SPWR at 64.75 from 73.77 prior to the cut, due to major solar weakness overseas in QCE.DE and SWV.DE. It popped to around the 68 level, but I'm not complaining.

Regardless of any rate cut, it's important to cut losses on a day like this to regain a balanced view throughout the trading day and I consider it fortunate to have been able to escape my largest holding which was BIDU with an actual gain.

Even as I type this, reversing my positions and going short would have been a good move. I'll be on the sidelines however. It is important to note that the Fed has essentially used up all of its powder this morning... as I've been mentioning repeatedly, it will be very interesting to see if this rate cut has any lasting positive effect.


UPDATE:
Immediately after this post was placed - futures have not been able to sustain the rally - BIDU is now trading at 238 - a full 23 points below my sale price! whew.

No comments: