Monday, January 14, 2008

January 14th After Market Close

I apologize for the lack of updates this weekend - been quite busy with other things. It appears that the market has been stabilizing on some positive earnings news from IBM, etc (numbers are not showing that the end of the world is coming). I find it hard to believe though, that the market is going to be fine from here. The dollar is absolutely getting hammered - it's currently below 108 yen. Citibank (C) is coming out with earnings tomorrow - the market has priced in $24 billion in write downs... the entire market cap of C is $144 billion? The latest flurry of activity involves possible investments by foreign players. In addition we have retail sales and PPI at 8:30 am ET. The big thing tomorrow for tech is Macworld - AAPL will definitely be a stock to watch. It has been swinging between 168-180 over the last few days. I'll be monitoring that one for some trading opportunities.

Big picture wise, I think the market obviously has a lot fear in it, which may not wash out for at least a few months, but over the long haul, I'm keeping a close eye on finding some real nice long term buy and hold stocks as we go through this mess. I'm particularly looking for some dividend paying names which have been decimated lately.

And continue to pay close attention to MA (Mastercard) - I still believe it will be back near its highs in the near future. I'll keep you posted if I end up opening a position in it.

No comments: